People who enjoy the sport of running are often dismayed if they have incurred a running injury. This may force them to take unwanted time off from their chosen sport. If an injury has occurred, research has indicated it may be beneficial to refrain from running until it is completely healed. There are methods that can be implemented which may help to prevent running injuries. Stretching may help the body to remain flexible, in addition to possibly improving your range of motion. Strength training is an effective way to increase muscle tone, and it may help to reduce existing weak spots in the body. If you would like to know how performing foot stretches before and after running can help the body, it is suggested that you speak to a podiatrist.
Exercising your feet regularly with the proper foot wear is a great way to prevent injuries. If you have any concerns about your feet, contact one of our podiatrists of Instride Queen City Foot & Ankle Specialists. Our doctors will treat your foot and ankle needs.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
Many common running injuries are caused by overuse and overtraining. When the back of the kneecap starts wearing out and starts causing pain in your knee, this is commonly referred to as runner’s knee. Runner’s knee is a decrease in strength in your quadriceps and can occur if you’re not wearing properly fitted or supporting shoes. To prevent runner’s knee, focusing on hip strengthening is a good idea, as well as strengthening your quads to keep the kneecaps aligned.
What Are Some Causes of Running Injuries?
- One cause of a common running injury is called iliotibial band syndrome.
- Plantar fasciitis is also another common injury.
- Stress fractures can occur from overtraining, lack of calcium, or even your running style.
Best Ways to Prevent Running Injuries
- Wear footwear that fits properly and suits your running needs.
- Running shoes are the only protective gear that runners have to safeguard them from injury.
- Make a training schedule. Adding strengthening exercises as well as regular stretching can help keep you strong and limber and can lessen the possibility of injuries.
- Stretching keeps muscles limber; this will help you gain better flexibility.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office located in Charlotte, NC. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.